Friday 12 June 2009

Friday

So glad Josh is home for the weekend!
We woke up and ate breakfast and I read in the paper it would reach 100 degrees today! I was just commenting last week how mild the summer had been so far--I guess I jinxed us. So where's cool and kid-friendly? The library of course!

I have a near perfect library system:

I always do my research at home and get the list of books I want with the catalog numbers so I don't forget a book or have to watch the kids while searching the online catalog. I bring a stroller so whoever walks out of my line of sight gets a time-out in the stroller (plus I can stuff all 19 books in there). I always go to the adult section first so that the children's section is a reward for good behavior.

What's that quote about best-laid plans?

Anyway, today both Clark and Maddox desperately wanted to ride in the stroller. So whoever wasn't in it sobbed loudly. Then, I couldn't find my list of books and catalog numbers anywhere! I dumped out my purse on the table, emptied the stroller. No list. I finally got the boys quiet and then Audrey said she had to go the bathroom. Since the ladies bathroom was in my line of vision and I knew it was a single stall, I sent Audrey to the bathroom by herself. While she's in the bathroom, I find my list! Chewed up in Maddox's mouth! Will he be the list-eater in 18 years when Baylor finally makes a bowl?!

I upset Maddox pulling the paper out of his mouth and then to quiet him I put him in the stroller which makes Clark scream. Then I realize Audrey's been in the bathroom five minutes and is frantically knocking because the door is to heavy to pull open. I get her out and she is scared to death bawling her eyes out. So I had three wailing preschoolers in the quiet adult section. It is a gross understatement to say all eyes were on me. I felt so bad for Audrey and apologized three times. She said, "Mom, you didn't make that door heavy!" What a little cutie.

We went to the foyer (pronounced foy-ay just for Black Sarah) to regroup and I'm proud to say we returned and had a successful trip to the library.

Lunch and nap went smoothly--today Maddox wore a tortilla as a hat but I couldn't grab the camera in time. I also decided to make some Kraft Macaroni & Cheese--I thought Maddox would like it and I vaguely remember Josh liking it, though I couldn't remember cooking or eating since I was pregnant with Clark. But I found a box and whipped it up. It looked a little strange--almost burnt orange. Sure enough, I guess the last time I bought mac&cheese I was pregnant with Clark!! The box expired in August 2007! So we dumped that and had peanut butter crackers with fruit and cheese.
He took a monster nap for 3 hours and 5 minutes. Why is it we can never just enjoy those crazy-long naps? Of course I went up to check on him every 15 minutes starting at the 2 1/2 hr mark.

Maddox got to talk to his mom and dad on the phone and it made him really sad but he recovered quickly. He is definitely missing them but overall having a great time, still exploring the new toys and admiring Audrey. When Josh got home from work I said, "Daddy's home!" Maddox ran to look, and then looked at me like I was crazy. "Josh!" The message was clear--that's not my daddy!

We did a little painting after nap and had tacos for dinner. Then a long bubble bath followed by stories and bed by 8!

I love how sweetly they all play together. We had good sharing today and fun art projects. Sorry no pictures--they were cute all day of course but I couldn't get in the habit of picking up the camera.

Except for this.


Guess who's been out of town all week? That's right! Sydni Cartwright.

No comments: